U.S. taxpayers who live in abroad and/or who income from foreign sources, most report and file income tax returns the same other taxpayer receiving income from U.S. sources.
Foreign income may have many sources such as income from foreign real estate, working for a foreign company, investments in foreign stocks.
FATCA is for the reporting of financial assets held in foreign accounts over $50k for U.S. residents an $200K for U.S. expats if filing single.
FBAR is for the reporting of financial assets held in foreign accounts over $10K for both U.S. residents and for U.S. expats regardless of filing status.
Subscribe to our Mailing List to Download our Ultimate Tax Guide for Expats: 10 Tips for U.S. Tax Payers with Foreign Income.
Even as an Expat, you still need to file a tax return and, depending on your income, pay taxes, as long as you have a U.S. citizenship. Your worldwide income is taxable even if you filed a tax return and paid taxes in the country where you reside. If your taxable income is over $20,000 a year and you are married; or $10,000 and single; or made over $400 per year as self-employed or contractor, you need to file a tax return.
There is a long list of tax filing requirements the IRS has determine for Expats:
- Automatic Extension until 6/15 but pay taxes on 4/15
- Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) of $104,100 only if return is filed
- Spouses get another $104,100 of foreign earned income exclusion (FEIE)
- If your income is over the FEIE amount, claim a house deduction
- Credit for taxes paid in your country of residence
- Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) reporting requirements
- Foreign Bank Accounts Reporting (FBAR) requirements
- Foreign companies ownership involves more IRS reporting
- Foreign trust creation involves more IRS reporting
- Self-employment income is subject to FICA (social security and medicare taxes)
- The IRS is watching you
- IRS special programs for Expats
- Passive Foreign Investment Company (PFIC)
Our Expat Tax Service includes:
Get our consulting service and enjoy the benefits of:
- File your taxes always on time, never on extension: Automation of your entire tax filing on time, avoiding IRS interest and penalties for late filing.
- Get immediate answers to all of your questions: Our consulting service keeps you connected with us via cellphone, email, text or social media to answer all your business questions immediately. You are just one call or post away from finding the answer to your inquiry.
- Peace of Mind: Our tax plan is designed to release you from worries and stress so you can experience a sense of happiness and freedom in your debts
Request a Confidential Consultation
FAS CPA & Consultants
9000 SW 137 AV Suite 224 Miami, FL 33186 T: 786-462-7899 E: email@example.com