How to File Tax Returns for Previous Years

How to File Tax Returns for Previous Years

Sometimes, due to various circumstances, you find yourself late of filing tax returns. Being up to date on your tax filing is very important and you can’t just skip previous years even if your current tax return is filed. Here’s how to file tax returns for previous years.

Collect your tax documents

Your first step towards filing tax returns for previous years would be to gather all the relevant tax documentation, which may be:

  • W-2 form
  • 1099 form
  • Receipts
  • Payslips
  • Contracts
  • Invoices
  • Dividends distribution documents

and any other files that give information about your income and deductible expenses.

Request for replacement of missing documents

If you can’t find your W-2s and 1099 forms, which you definitely need for filing tax returns for previous years, you can request a transcript from the IRS, which is available for 10 years back. The waiting time for these to receive may be up to 45 days.

Download here

Download previous tax forms

You may want to fill your tax return for previous years on the tax forms for those years and you can do so by downloading them from the IRS website. Also, you can use a tax software if you want to speed up the process or turn to a tax accountant.

Make sure you are following the right instructions

When you file your tax returns for previous years, apart from the correct forms you also need the correct instructions to fill in the forms. They are different for each year and available to download from the IRS website. If you fill in tax forms following the incorrect instructions you may have to resubmit your tax return.


Submit and make a payment

When everything is ready and checked you can submit the tax returns for previous years by posting them to the address listed on the 1040 form instructions. If you owe tax on any of your returns you must include a payment with the filed documents. The bigger the payment the better. This will reduce your interest charges, which accrue monthly until all money owed is paid. Once the IRS receives your tax returns they will send you a notice, which tells you how much you owe in penalty charges and interest fees.

If you need help with filing tax returns for previous years, please contact us at support@fascpaconsultants.com.

Like this article? Join our Tax Facebook Group: IRS Tax Debt Resolution


Request a Confidential Consultation

FAS CPA & Consultants

9000 SW 137 AV Suite 224 Miami, FL 33186 T: 786-462-7899 E: support@fascpaconsultants.com

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message


Fulton Abraham Sanchez, CPA

Fulton Abraham Sánchez, CPA is a Certified Public Accountant, specialized In Tax Planning, International Business, Wealth Management and Offshore Banking. You can email him to fa@fascpaconsultants.com or follow us on Facebook : FAS CPA & Consultants.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

error: Content is protected !!